Friday, March 22, 2013

Spray Painting a Mirror with Wooden Frame

Hello again! 


Exactly two weeks until we move to Illinois. Its very bittersweet for us, we are just beginning to feel like Mississippi is our home, and now we have to go make a new home. But I am extremely excited for all the new adventures the three of us will have.







There is a thrift store on the air force base. It doesn't really have that great of stuff, and what it does have is pretty overpriced. Every time I would venture in there, I saw this mirror. It was cream colored, and the frame was beveled, and it was made for my home. But, it was 35 dollars. And I couldn't justify spending that much money on a second hand mirror.

A few weeks later I went back in, and the mirror had gone down to 20 dollars. I had exactly 20 dollars on me, so I figured it was a sign. I brought the mirror home. But, it was cream colored, and our walls are stark white, so I didn't want to have a cream colored mirror on a white wall. Also, was trying to find ways to bring some color into the house. 


Randy and I weren't sure how to keep the mirror safe while spray painting the frame. So, being the geniuses we are, covered the mirror with foil and masking tape. We sanded it down very lightly, just so everything would be smooth.






Randy put a light coat of primer on it. We let it dry for a few hours, and then sanded it down again, wiped it down with a damp cloth, and then spray painted it. 






We used Krylon Paint+Primer to prime it. We used Rustoleum in Hunter Green Satin Finish to actually paint the mirror. Again, you want to stand back when spray painting. At least 12 to 18 inches. This ensures that you get an even coat of paint as you are spraying. We did one light coat of primer, and about 5 very light coats of paint.  We let it dry about 4 or 5 hours between coats. If you don't let it dry long enough, it becomes sticky, and you will probably have to start over. Kind of like painting your nails. You don't want to put too many wet coats on at once or it will be tacky and you will have to remove it and start over.

The finished product. It took another 3 months before Randy was able to hang it up for me. I love it! It makes the room feel less flat. It gives the walls some depth and texture. And I'm just really glad I had twenty dollars on me that day it was reduced. 

Basil and Randy dancing in the living room Christmas Eve

This was an extremely easy project. It was under 40 dollars to buy the mirror and to buy the sand paper and spray paint to fix it up.




Till next time!


-Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment