Friday, April 19, 2013

New House - Backyard and Living Room Decorating

Hello! 

I'm very glad I didn't have to wait too long again to post. Whipping this house into shape has been pretty crazy. Also, I've begun a sugar free month (more on that later) so I've been a little more irritable than usual. 

Creek behind our house, made even deeper by all the rain 
When we first got to Belleville, it was 80 degrees, much hotter than it was in Mississippi. I had no idea what was going on, because two weeks before that they were covered in over a foot a snow! Then it rained stormed, and it dropped to lows in the 30s, and highs in the 50s. That was more like what I had in mind. The good news is that we have been able to use our fireplace, frequently, the bad news is the cold and wet weather really puts a damper on my outdoor projects. 


Toasty Roasty Fireplace Yay! 

Anyways, I'm boring myself talking about all this weather. I feel like I need to explain why I have been a bit dormant the past two weeks.

Randy is really anxious to get some herbs and veggies going since we have a big ole backyard to do stuff like that in. He planted some herbs yesterday while I was Pinterest-ing, and he was urgently searching the kitchen for some masking tape. I asked him what he needed it for, and he said "to label these pots". Well, I wasn't going to let pots with ugly masking tape sit on my kitchen windowsill, so I added my very own feminine touch to these terracotta pots.


I assured him I would eagerly paint over them if he ever wants to reuse them for something else 

I  think they are cute, at least. We are impatiently waiting now for our Rosemary, Cilantro, Basil, and Chives to sprout. We love cooking with fresh herbs, and these are the ones we tend to use the most. We are very excited! 



The back patio and yard was in such bad shape when we got here, the front yard too. But my wonderful husband has made the patio bearable to look at (at least until we fix it up more) by adding these very appealing bricks and rocks around the edge of the patio. We bought several of the big square bricks and they will make a path to our outdoor chimney once we decide where we want it to go. 



We are also planning on building a raised wooden (we've also been toying with the idea of painted or stained cinder blocks) planter for our vegetable garden we want to have on the side of the house. We got a little ahead of ourselves and bought the seeds before we even built the garden. But with it still being in the 50s, I think we have some time to decide what we want to do. 


When my husband went to pick up firewood, he found several thick stumps like this one, and brought them home. I'm considering staining the tops, and putting a clear coat over them and water sealing them to be used as seat around our chimney. I was very pleased when I saw them in our backyard. My husband is just as excited about projects, and making things awesome, as I am. He always picks up things for me to use. He even brought me a very pretty piece of driftwood looking wood to make into a candle holder, or place on our mantle or something else. 

To conclude all that, yes, we have been hard at work trying to make our backyard a space we love to be in. When its all finished I will have a friend with a nicer camera than I own come out and take pictures for me to show all of you. 


I picked up these gray pillows from a thrift store for our new (to us) couches. I am planning on making a few more pillows that go with these. I want our living room to be gray and green. I'm planning on making a gray ottoman for our love seat. But that's a project that is a few months away at least. Randy is totally up for it because he misses our rickety old reclining couch. 


Basil is oh so gracious only taking up the second biggest couch in the room
I keep seeing rabbits, ducks, and other creatures that would harm a little garden, meaning on top of having a raised bed, we will probably put a short picket fence around our "crops".





Well, for now I will leave you with this picture of Basil when he was about 2 months old. We have been hard at work, and Basil has been helping, in his own way. We will be spray painting fans tomorrow, hopefully I will get that tutorial up soon.

Until next time, I hope you enjoyed reading 


-Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment