Friday, May 31, 2013

Painted Knife Block

Hello again!



Its been busy busy around here. Randy and I have been babysitting a puppy who is the same age as Basil, and so we've been going to the park for 2 hours every morning, and taking them on really long walks every night. Needless to say, a tired puppy is a good puppy.



I have been working on a big project for a friend of mine, I can't wait to show it off in a couple days! I'm finally getting to paint some baby furniture. Its been a lot more difficult than I imagined, but I am so excited for the final product none of the setbacks even matter. I'm happy to do it for my friend, and baby furniture is so fun!


Can you tell what it is? 


So Randy picked up this kitchen block for me from the airman's attic (so it was free) I've been asking for one for weeks because I keep stabbing myself when I try to grab a utensil since the knives are all in the same drawer. When I saw the knife block, I instantly knew I wanted to paint it.





I've been seeing these kind of pictures floating around Pinterest (my biggest addiction) and knew I wanted something similar for my own kitchen. It definitely needs some color!


Its just so brown, even the dishwasher is brown. 

I didn't bother priming it, just because I was lazy. I used a Valspar sample I picked up at Lowes in Summer Night. I've been pretty partial to pink lately for whatever reason. I think I just need it to feel like light airy spring in my house.



I'm not a big fan of the big swirly monograms with the three initials. I'm not sure why, its just never been my style. I decided to use some stencils and put a big L on our block for Lockamy, our last name. I put a couple flowers on the sides, and a bird on the front with some mistinted paint I got for cheap at Lowes.








I'm incredibly proud of it, I think its a little different, and I feel like it represents my style and tastes. It looks great on my hutch, but its going in our very brown kitchen. Which is good, because it will be my pop of color that brings me out of a funk when I'm busy hating our cabinets. 


So all in all, a super easy way to add a pretty pop of color to your kitchen. If you've been thinking about doing this, but have been too afraid to put a paintbrush against something in your kitchen, just do it. You don't have to be an artist to make it look good, just need a few good stencils and some paint you absolutely love!

Hope you enjoyed reading, until next time,

-Christine



No comments:

Post a Comment