Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Little Hutch that Could

Hello everyone!

A few months ago I bought a hutch off of a yard sale Facebook page. I pretty much paid forty dollars for firewood.


My personal nightmare
I went to pick it up during the day, a time we agreed upon. The original owner rushed me out though before I could inspect it at all. When we got home, Randy and I discovered that the hutch was made of extremely cheap and old particle board. Yikes!  We cleaned it out (it was kind of sticky) and I immediately began regretting my decision to buy it. I had no idea how I was going to make this thing structurally sound and pleasing to the eye. The previous owner had wallpapered the insides of the drawers and the back panel (which turned out to basically be cardboard). We ripped out the back and threw it away. I removed all the wallpaper. Randy disassembled the whole thing so I could easily paint it. And I prepared to face the biggest challenge in my furniture flipping career.



Basil booty 
The biggest problem I could see was that the bottom of the hutch, the boards that support it, were flaking off in big pieces at the slightest touch. That wasn't going to work if I want it to be around for more than a couple months. I used Elmer's Wood Putty and slathered the bottom of the hutch up just to keep it from flaking. 



When I realized I couldn't make the hutch stable, and the bottom pretty, I had Randy cut up a board so we could just make a new supporting bottom for it. I figured I could add some molding to it later to make it more attractive. The next step was to prime and paint it. This step took months.

Finally using the right paint. Sheesh.
This is one of those cases where using the cheap paint you got for 3 dollars at Walmart probably wasn't the best to use. I primed it using my favorite Zinsser primer from this project. And then painted the Walmart paint in yellow over the top. I followed procedure, but sadly, when I accidentally scraped one of the drawers I had painted, it came off way too easily. I dragged Randy to Lowes and we bought Valspar paint in a semi gloss in the color Hail A Cab. I decided that it might be better to spray the primer on instead of roll it on, and so I went ahead and bought some of the Zinsser spray primer as well. 

My favorite paint, but only for special occasions or emergencies. Its a bit pricey


I had to sand every piece I painted down, clean it well, and then spray paint the primer on it, and repaint it over. It was a mess, and I seriously considered just giving up on the project. When we moved to this house though, I realized why I had held on to it. Our house had no counter space or storage space for the kitchen whatsoever. My motivation for this hutch was revived when I decided it was going to be our coffee/tea bar where the Keurig could go, and all our mugs, and everything for our coffee and tea needs. There is also a cabinet and three drawers in the base of it that can be used to hold napkins, and other things we have in our kitchen that don't really have a place yet. 

Wasted Space

As you can see in the picture, where I want the hutch is Basil's corner. But its right next to the fridge in the dining area of our home, so Basil is just going to have to move.  

Not the most professional thing I've done, but whatever, its my house. 

When all the inside parts were finally painted, I found the hardware, and decided they could do with a spray painting. I wanted them black, or a charcoal color, so I went to Lowes to find the best spray paint to use. I found one that I think goes well with the yellow we picked, and spray painted them, let them dry over night, and reattached everything the next day. Sadly the screws to attach the cabinet doors did not come with the hutch, so we had to postpone the ribbon cutting ceremony to buy screws! 

Setback after setback with this thing, man.


The original back panel had been thrown out months ago, so Randy and I decided to attach some bead board to the back of it to dress it up a little bit. 

Basil always has to be as close as possible to us while we're working on projects 



Well its finished, maybe it will last us till we move to our next base. Even though this project made me want to tear my hair out, and made me dread going into the garage because I knew it would be there, it taught me a very valuable lesson. Do not buy particle board furniture to make over. Always inspect every piece before you take it home. Don't be afraid to say "No, this won't work" to someone. Its not worth the frustration and tears. 


I hope you enjoyed reading, until next time 

-Christine 

16 comments:

  1. I have to give you credit. I don't know that I would have gone to the at much trouble for it. But it turned out darling. I love the yellow color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I think it was worth the hard work! And we love the yellow too, it makes our house look happy =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you still made it beautiful! I've been wanting to do my first furniture makeover, so thanks for letting me know particle board is a no no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is possible to do it, but it is more difficult if it is old and damaged. If your furniture is in good shape, then go ahead and paint it! The problem with this one was mostly that it was particleboard and falling apart! My husband painted some kitchen storage me that was particleboard and it turned out great, but it was already in good condition =]

      Delete
  4. You wouldn't even know it was the same piece of furniture! This looks amazing! And I love that color yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My husband is actually the one who picked it. He is surprisingly good at picking just the right color. He always gets the last sayon colors. And thank you!

      Delete
  5. Christine, despite all of the challenges (and I admire your perseverance!) you did an amazing job and this looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a lot of work, but honestly, every time I look over at it, it makes my dining room feel happy. So it was worth it!

      Delete
  6. Adorable! Nice job rescuing that piece! pinning

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looks SOOO amazing now. I can't believe you did all that work. I probably would have just thrown it out :o) Pinned! Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, oh believe me, I WAS TEMPTED! But when we got to our new house I knew that we needed it for storage, and also... I don't like being defeated by inanimate objects. Its happens a lot more than you would think. So if I could win one, I was going to! Thanks for commenting and pinning =]

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry you had such a hard time. The end product looks wonderful. Pinned. Thanks for sharing! I'm sure the hutch thanks you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it was difficult, but reflecting on it, it was worth it. It brightens up the room and is very valuable place to hold all my knick knacks. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. That's pretty darn awesome for what was going to be firewood, beautiful job and well worth the extra effort!

    ReplyDelete