Sunday, June 16, 2013

TV Tray Dress Up

Hello again!



This is going to be my last post before I head out to Germany for six weeks! I am visiting my parents who live out in the Katterbach area, and in July we are going on a twelve night Disney mediterranean cruise, so you will all definitely be hearing about that adventure in July!


I picked up some TV trays today, I got them for ten dollars, so I thought it was a pretty good deal considering I found the same exact set at walmart for 65. Everything on these are real wood, except the top of the tray, which is composite, but not to worry, painting composite and laminate is easy as pie if you have the right materials.





I started off by quickly sanding all the surfaces with an 80 grit sandpaper, just to give it that roughness so that the primer will adhere well to it. After wiping it down well, the next step was to prime the tops. I used my favorite Zinsser Bulls Eye Water Based primer from this project.



I decided to go spray paint with these because there were so many nooks and crannies, and my wrists were still tired from the changing table I just painted by hand. Basil and I went to Lowes and I picked two colors in the Valspar Color Radiance line.
Dynamic Duo 

I sprayed the trays down completely with the blue (I will admit, it took three cans to do a good even coat). I sprayed them first upside down so I could get all the spaces, then flipped them and did the tops. 



I decided I wanted the trays to be dual colored, so I taped off designs on the top of the trays and after six hours of drying time. I sprayed over the tape with the pale gray paint and used my hair dryer to dry the edges around the tape before lifting it off.



A coat of Polyurethane on the top, and these guys are ready for action!



I just adore them, and of course these will never be used to eat dinner after we have kids, but for now, they will be nice to have. I guess they could be homework or coloring stations once we have kids.


I hope you enjoyed reading, until next time

-Christine


2 comments:

  1. thanks for the step by step! SO going to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome! Can't wait to see what you come up with =] You can usually buy old encyclopedia pages at vintage stores if you want to decoupage the tops.

    ReplyDelete