Monday, October 14, 2013

Antique Bureau in Sage Green

Hello!

I have been procrastinating writing this post for some reason. I just spent half an hour looking at yellow dresses on amazon. I'm not sure why I am being so reluctant to write this all out. Maybe I'm worried when I post this, I'll never be able to top this beautiful dresser we finished. Although, my writing skills still need a lot of work, so the blog will go on!


The beauty that we have been working on right now belongs to one of our friends from the dog park. She saved it from a burn pile! She was right to; after de-spidering, de-griming, and de-gunking it, this bureau turned out to be quite the piece.




When we picked it up, we were so excited. It was our first commissioned piece of furniture, and it was a great find. We were eager to tackle the project. Unfortunately, we didn't realize it was going to take us over a month to repair, clean, and apply a finish to this beauty. But it was well worth it, when I glance over at how great it looks now, I feel a swell of pride in my heart. That is one of the reasons I love refinishing furniture. Randy and I can take rejected, broken, ugly pieces of furniture, strip away everything bad, and turn it into something we love. This is the starting point, well, after a thorough cleaning.


The bureau came with a mirror holder, but every time I touched it.. a piece of it broke off. It was really fragile and I honestly had little hope we could restore it.


But Randy spent one evening, putting it together like a puzzle on a tabletop, and using a variety of rubber bands, bungee cords, bricks, and wrenches, he pieced it back together and used all that stuff to clamp it in place while he glued it. Now its fixed, and ready to be attached to the bureau when we drop it off!



The first thing I noticed when I started to clean it, was when I wiped it with a rag, all this black gunk was coming away with my rag. So I eventually had to douse the piece in vinegar, and use a thick brush to scrub all the grime off. Once it was all dried, and Randy de-spidered it, I used wood filler to fill in all the deep scratches.

So many spiders living in all the nooks and crannies!
There were a few structural issues, so Randy had to seriously glue this thing back together. The sides were completely cracked, so we filled it with wood filler and wood glue and decided to put beadboard over the siding to make it more attractive.

I was so excited to attach beadboard to the sides! I think it really goes well with this piece.

Once we were sure it was going to hold up and last for many more years to come, we sanded it, and primed it. I painted it, and put a few clear coats of polycrylic over the top and the body was finished. I hand painted more of with a brush to get in all the nooks and crannies, I did use a sponge roller on the top to get a nice, smooth, and even cover.

Love that green! Its Dill from Valspar in satin, with a satin polycrylic coat over the top
We then fixed the drawers (which were pretty busted up) and pieced them back together. I primed and painted them, when I finished, I sat back and scratched my head wondering what the heck I was going to do about the knobs.




I ended up soaking them in vinegar, and using a green scrubber with dish soap to scrub all the muck off. It really is such a dramatic difference! I thought the knobs were black, and my friend thought they were wood. Haha, its amazing to find out that they are a beautiful gold color, that was made to be paired with this green!


We took it to our friend's house and attached the mirror piece. Its a bit too fragile to place a mirror in (and probably too expensive) so she attached some wire to the mirror attachment and hung pictures from it with baby clothespins! I couldn't have thought of a better use for it even if I scoured pinterest for a hundred years.

The whole project has been long, hard, work, but we are so proud of it now. And the fact that our friend completely loves it, makes all the hard work worth it! Randy and I are so pleased to make things that other people can love.


I hope you enjoyed reading! Until next time,

-Christine

-----------------------------------------------------------

Linking up to these sites

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

16 comments:

  1. Amazing make over!Pinned it !! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I'm pretty proud of it.

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous, Christine! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!! We kept saying we wanted to keep it haha!

      Delete
  3. I love my dresser, thank you for saving it and making it absolutely beautiful, sorry it was do much work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to apologize!! We were so happy for the opportunity. You are the first one to take a chance on us, and we really really appreciated it! I'm sorry it took so long haha!

      Delete
  4. Wow! You did a fabulous job. It turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was definitely our most challenging yet rewarding furniture project we have done so far.

      Delete
  5. What a neat re-do! I love furniture makeovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And there will be plenty more to come =]

      Delete
  6. You guys did an amazing job! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for taking the time to comment =]

      Delete
  7. Wow, huge difference! Love rescued furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do too, and you can see plenty more if you take a look around. My blog isn't the best yet, but I'm hoping to make it into something really special.

      Delete