Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Chalkboard Painted Microwave Cart

Hello!

I feel like I start every post off with an apology for not posting in a while, so lets just get started shall we?


When Randy and I were first married, we had a huge house (air force issued) for just the two of us. We had two whole rooms and a full bathroom that didn't get used once in our 8 months in Mississippi. And all we had to our names was a side table and a mattress with a box spring.




Whenever we finally bought a microwave, we didn't want to put it on the counter and waste precious food preparation space. We got this particle board microwave cart for a few bucks at the local thrift store. It had been painted very very thickly with white craft paint, and I could not sand it off. I was wondering how I should paint it, since stripping it seemed to be impossible when one of my facebook friends suggested chalkboard paint, since it covers everything. I had gotten a free can of chalkboard paint (I still have this same can) from a friend, and decided to give it a try.



 Randy doesn't really like black furniture, so I was worried he would not like it. But I decided to give this piece of a pale green (Walmart discount paint, 3 dollars for the can) trim to brighten it up. I think it worked well! I used polycrylic over the satin green to give it some durability.


When I was finished painting it, and the chalkboard paint had dried overnight I seasoned the paint by covering the entire chalkboard painted areas in chalk. Then I wrote down some stuff to make sure the words wouldn't be burned into my surface, and I was ready to write all over it!


For the longest time this microwave cart housed our microwave and other odds and ends in our kitchen, until Randy made this for me, and we no longer had any use for the microwave cart (or a place for it, now we have a small house and too much furniture, go figure). I recently sold it on craigslist for 35 dollars, so that went straight into the Disney jar! We are now halfway at our goal for money to buy the tickets!


Thank you little microwave cart. You served us well, and now you are helping us get one small step closer to Disney World!

I hope you enjoyed reading, until next time

-Christine




7 comments:

  1. Ooohh, it turned out so great!! I love the look of it with the chalkboard paint on it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I love chalkboard paint and love that you repurposed something old and gave it new life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the comment! And thats why I do it =] Its always rewarding to see furniture get a second chance.

      Delete
  3. I really need to get some chalkboard paint and try it out! I love what you did with the microwave cart...and what you did with the money from the sale! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah, I wasn't sure how I was going to like it, but I was fun to let Randy and the kids I watch write all over it. And DISNEY. We are going in February. So excited!

      Delete
  4. I have just installed iStripper, and now I can watch the sexiest virtual strippers stripping on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete