Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Faux Birch Logs for Mantle Decor

Hello!

So I was browsing the internet tonight, hoping for inspiration for my mantle to strike. Well, it struck, but I had to improvise with what I had on hand.



I came across this blog when googling fall mantles, A Pretty Life used bundles of birch logs on her fall inspired mantle and I love it! I wanted something similar for my mantle, unfortunately, we don't have much birch around here. I wouldn't even know where to find it, other than buying my own tree and chopping it up. But we do have plenty of logs in the backyard. I considered painting the logs we have white, but I didn't know if that would just look tacky and cheap. So... I looked to google again, and somebody has done it before!! Hi Sugarplum spray painted her ordinary logs, and no one would be the wiser.

Starting point 


I scraped off as much of the bark as I could, then I put the logs in the oven at 225 for about an hour to kill anything that might be living in it.



I sanded down the stubborn remaining bark, and then cleaned it off with a thick bristled brush and soapy water, then I set it out to dry.

The Puppies like to help me by stealing my projects and running off with them. They did manage to strip off some bark though. 

I didn't really want to waste spray paint (because its more expensive) on this simple project, so I decided to try a method using loose paint.


I have a couple of off white sample paints hanging around the house. I also have several cheap sponge brushes.

Take your sponge brush and liberally apply white paint to your regular log.



Take a dry cloth, and dab at the paint, spreading it, and wipe the excess off.



Apply paint, dab, spread, wipe, repeat.


There you have it! Perfectly acceptable looking faux birch logs. I am very pleased with the result, and happy that I am out of this fall funk. I've been in a slump when it comes to decorating for fall. I nearly fainted when I saw all the Christmas stuff in the stores last weekend. I am ready to decorate for Christmas!! But I will do my best to hold off until Thanksgiving... we'll see how that goes.



In order to give these a little character, I tied them with twine, and added some leaves I cut out from my Wicked book that Scout had previously chewed the edges of. I never throw anything he has destroyed out because I might be able to use it later.



I think I am starting to get into the Fall/November spirit though. But I will be very happy when I can go crazy and decorate for Christmas. Soon green and red decorations with fake snow.. soon...
Also, I may or may not have Christmas music playing on Pandora.

I hope you enjoyed reading! Until next time,

-Christine 

14 comments:

  1. What a super cute idea! Pinned it to my Crafts Board :)

    Shauna @ The Best Blog Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! The logs looked great when you painted them, but I do really like the little leaves. Oh--and I'm glad you mentioned putting them in the oven first--I probably would have skipped that step!! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting them in the oven actually made my house smell amazing! It was the fun smelly good step =] And thank you for the comment and pin!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea.. I just might have to take a trip down by the lake to pick up some washed up tree branches to try this project... Love it. Pinning and sharing on google +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and washed up trees will be much easier to scrape the bark off of =]

      Delete
  4. These are so pretty, and add such warmth--perfect for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very neat idea. Thanks for sharing. Pinning for later

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! Thanks for sharing! Headed over to pin it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat idea & love an easy diy. Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love an easy DIY as well haha!

      Delete