Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving, Gobble gobble!

Hello there! Happy Thanksgiving!

I know I have quite a few international readers, but its never a bad thing to take some time to really appreciate all the blessings we have in our lives. So happy thanksgiving to all you Americans, and to all my non-American readers, have a blessed November 28th. 


We'll start off with some puppies

So generally people take time to reflect on the things they are thankful for in their lives, and in the past year. I feel like being grateful and having gratitude for all the blessings in my life is something I struggle with on a day to day basis. I'm grateful for everything I have of course, but I think on the day to day, I struggle with feeling truly grateful for how charmed and blessed my life actually is.



Pictured: Charmed life. 

For starters, I began this blog this year. Its something that has truly made my life more rich. I feel like I've extended my creative feelers, gotten more confidence, made some virtual friendships, and (hopefully) improved my writing. It does cause stress at times, but there's nothing wrong with a little good stress to keep me productive and focused.



We adopted Scout this year, he is the funniest dog ever. We got a new foster puppy the other day (Medusa) and he crawled into her crate. I was having kind of a low day, but the second I turned and saw him packed into that small crate my heart was instantly lighter and I'm pretty sure I smiled for the first time that day. His goofiness keeps me from being too serious, and he loves us just so unconditionally and always wants our attention and affection, which is what I really need some nights. Scout is my snuggle bunny. He has no problem hanging out with me on the couch while I catch up on my shows and fold some laundry. His big floppy head sitting in my lap, just so content to be near me. He will occasionally try to nibble on a sock, but his unwavering love and companionship is so therapeutic on rough days, I sometimes let him have the socks without any mates. I'm thankful for Basil too. If someone broke into our house, Scout would help them carry the tv out. Basil is my watchful cautious doggy. He will only snuggle when all the doors are locked and everyone is tucked safely in bed. In the mornings when the boys I nanny are over, he lays in front of their door and guards them until they wake up. Basil is my smart caring boy. 



This year we moved to Illinois, right outside of St. Louis. I LOVE this area. It is so dog friendly! I can drive to the city in a short twenty minutes, but I live in a very small and slow area. I love that I can enjoy the city anytime I want without being IN it all the time. I have made so many wonderful friends here. Our church ward here is amazing and we couldn't have been grouped with a nicer bunch of people. We got invited to three different thanksgivings this year. Last year it was just Randy, Basil, and me sitting in our very empty house with a slightly sad three pound turkey roast I had used an entire huge roasting dish to cook. It was a good thanksgiving, but really, the holidays are more enjoyable with good friends and lots of gabbing. And a real turkey doesn't hurt either. 




I am most thankful for my wonderful husband though. Without Randy, this blog would be a failure. We wouldn't have Scout if Randy hadn't of wanted him so badly. But, more important than anything else, Randy is the best husband and companion anyone could ever ask for. Randy is on nights right now, and so is my friend whose kids I am nannying, I spend roughly 17 hours a day at her home, and maybe 4 or 5 at mine. I had nannied for three days straight, and our house was a wreck. I came home on that last morning expecting the house to be in the same condition, with a mountain of dishes, laundry, and dirty carpets waiting for me. I came home to Randy mowing the lawn, all of the bathrooms scrubbed clean, the carpets spotless, and all the laundry and dishes done, and a pristine kitchen. That is the kind of husband Randy is. He always knows just what I need to not go insane. He is always willing to help me, and always willing to tackle a crazy project. He supports me in everything I want to do. He puts up with my Disney and dog obsession, he takes wonderful care of the doggies when I am not able to. He cooks dinner when I am so tired I cannot get up off the couch. He is always there for me. He understands the importance of dating even though we're married. He is always eager to go out and have adventures with me. Drive 12 hours to Denmark to get married in two weeks? Lets do it! I could keep going and being cheesy, but I'll just say, I don't always show him how much I appreciate him, but I really do. I'm so lucky that I met my soulmate in 8th grade, and that it was relatively easy to trick him into marrying me.



 I'm going to work on being more appreciative for all the blessings I have in my life on a daily basis, not just a yearly or weekly basis. 
I'm thankful for all of my awesome friends and loving family. I feel lonely sometimes, but I know I can always call up my best friend or little sister and talk it out. I'm thankful for our home, I complain about it a lot, but for a couple of newlyweds, we're doing pretty good as far as housing goes. I'm thankful for the military, it does keep me away from my loved ones quiet often, but it has always taken care of my family. I'm thankful for two working paid off cars. I'm thankful for my church and the courage and peace that my faith brings me. I'm thankful for so many things that I am sure I am forgetting quite a lot, but you know, I always have tomorrow to remember to be grateful for whatever it is I'm forgetting. 




I'm so thankful for all of my readers, who encourage me to keep this going and who support my creative outlet. You guys are the best! 


6 comments:

  1. It was fun to "get to know you" a little in this post. The turkey looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - the turkey looks fabulous! I am such a dog lover. They truly enrich our lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! It tasted pretty good too =] and yes, they really do make our lives more bright =]

      Delete
  3. What a good post! I don't have dogs (I like them, though), but I have the two best cats ever. I never liked cats until I got them--but it's the same way--the unconditional, protective, snuggly love really is what gets me through some days. We all have so much to be thankful for! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =] My life would be so much more stressful without pets. Sometimes its such a good stress reliever to just pet an animal.

      Delete