Monday, November 11, 2013

Sending Lil Miss Off

Hello!

Yesterday we took Lil Miss to the airport to go to California and be with her forever family.

When we first took in Lil Miss, she was only 2 pounds, severely underweight, and had nasty patchy fur because she was afflicted with Sarcoptic Mange, otherwise known as Scabies. That first night, I thought she might die in my arms at Walmart because she was so listless and lethargic. She seemed like she had given up.




We took her home and opened up a can of Caesars' puppy food. Lets just say, she tried to eat the foil she was so eager to get to the food. Then when she downed a whole can of food, she looked around and looked at us as if to say "Where's the rest?!" Since that day she has been the boss in this house. She would verbally abuse me as I was preparing her wet food. I could hear her barks insulting me and complaining that the service is too slow.


She has the biggest, feisty-est, loudest personality ever. She would constantly boss around Basil and Scout, who easily had 50 pounds on her at all times. She never walks anywhere, she only has two gears, stop and charge!


Raising her for two months has been an honor. I had no idea my capacity for love until I fostered her. It was so hard to let her go. When we got back into the car I burst into tears. Its hard to be sad though, because I know she is going to a great family, my family. And I know they will love her and spoil her just as much as they loved and spoiled me as a child. 



It is bittersweet. Watching this decrepit ugly little puppy turn into this beautiful black swan. I look forward to fostering more dogs, because it is one of the biggest ways I can help homeless animals in my community. Its so easy to fall in love with them, its so easy to be proud of their victories. When Lil Miss finally grew fur back on her ears (something the vet said might not happen because her mange had been so bad) we celebrated. When she hit 18 pounds, I just grinned the whole day because of where she had started.


I guess that's all I can really say about it now, I have so many emotions, but its really difficult for me to put them all in words. So I would just like to share all of our photos of Lil Miss with you.




























I hope you enjoyed reading, until next time,

-Christine 

12 comments:

  1. I truly believe there is a special place in heaven for people who open up their hearts and homes to be foster parents - of both the 2 legged and 4 legged variety of babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! And it is very difficult, but extremely rewarding! I love doing it. We actually want to be foster parents to human children in the future, but that has to wait for us.

      Delete
  2. Awww! I am a huge dog lover. I don't know if I would have been able to give him up. He's so cute. Bless you for taking care of him and bringing him back to health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we are huge dog lovers too, obviously! And it is very difficult, but we know that she is going to a wonderful home, and we know we will see her again.

      Delete
  3. Oh precious!! What a great thing you are doing! I would not be able to pass them on, im such a dog lover. I had a roomate move out and take there dog and I still cry missing that dog and its been 3 years. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its very very easy to get attached to dogs. They are so easy to love, and they love so selflessly. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  4. I think my favorite picture is the fourth one down. That tiny bit of a dog chewing on the elbow of a much larger dog. Too cute. And kudos to you for fostering. My mom fosters Shih Tzu's and I know how wonderful and hard it can be all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my dogs were terrified of her. She bossed them around constantly! It was pretty funny having my 60 pound boys get put in their place by a 4 pound puppy.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I have no idea how you can foster dogs. My mom bought a dog and had to sell it a couple of weeks later and we got so attached to it, it was so hard letting it go. I'd be in trouble fostering dogs because I'd just want to keep them all.

    Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do want to keep them all! But if we kept them, we wouldn't have room to foster. So thats what makes it easier to let them go, knowing there are other dogs out there that need warm homes and compassionate foster parents to help them find their forever homes =]

      Delete
  6. It's an amazing thing that you two and your pups are doing. We do Kangaroo care in the NICU, and when babies start getting held and loved, they start thriving and growing. I look at these photos of your other pups loving on this one and you can see why she had the will to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I guess that does make a huge difference, it gives them something that they want more of. I think before she came to our house her life had only been misery, but once she learned how to be a real dog, she thrived and flourished =]

      Delete