Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas Dinner Rolls

Hello!

So probably my only food post ever (I say that now). I'm going to teach you how to make my mother's delicious and super easy yeast rolls!

Every year around the holidays, my mother would send my siblings and I around the neighborhood loaded down with baskets filled with dozens of these delicious rolls! We always had people request them all year round, but my mom was pretty good about saving them for the holidays.





You're going to need an entire night and morning to make these. So if I start some on Thursday night at seven, they will be ready to go into the fridge to rise at 9pm, and they will be ready to roll out at 9am on Friday (or even earlier, but in this idealistic example, I get 12 hours of sleep) and they will be ready to bake at 3 or 4pm. So, they are extremely simple to make, very time consuming, but its so worth it!

What you need:

-2pkgs of yeast
-2 C warm water
-1 C butter
-1 C sugar
-6 eggs
-1 tsp of salt
-8 to 9 C of flour

1. Mix the yeast with the 2 cups of warm water and 2 Tablespoons of sugar. Let it rest until the yeast starts doing its thing (fizzing up).

2. Add the butter (melted but not piping hot out of the microwave), the rest of the sugar, and the eggs. Mix well.

3. Add the salt and flour (usually about 8 1/2 does it for me, and then I use about a 1/2 cup of flour more to roll it out later). Mix well and let rise for two hours.

4. Mix it down (just press it down and mix it up again really well) and then cover and set in the fridge overnight.

5. In the morning, after a refreshing night's sleep, take out the dough and cut it into four equal parts.



6. Roll out each part into a big circle about a quarter inch thick.



7. Brush the circle of rolled out dough with melted butter, and use a pizza cutter to cut into 12 roughly even sized triangles.


8. Roll the triangles up starting from the wide edge, so it looks like a crescent roll.


9. Let rise for 4 to 5 hours.



10. Bake at 400 for ten minutes, one pan at a time, must be cooked on "shiny" pans. I just used foil (shiny side up) on my own pans. My mom buys the disposable shiny pans specifically for these rolls.



That's pretty much it. Its a very simple process. Just time consuming, but like I said, its worth it!! These turn out so amazing. They are perfect for sopping up gravy, and perfect for spreading sweet honey or succulent jam across and eating them that way. We like to eat these for breakfast, or with dinner, or as a dessert. So many possibilities in one dinner roll. Each recipe makes 4 dozen, and trust me, they will go QUICK. Did your family have any Christmas traditions that you participated in when you were younger? Are there any traditions you do with your family now? Let me know in the comments!


I hope you enjoyed this post, until next time

-Christine


11 comments:

  1. I have wanted to make rolls like this... thanks for sharing on DBB and will be pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! And let me know how they turn out =]

      Delete
  2. Yep definitely going to make these! Heading over to pin them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe and pinning! Have a happy Friday and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! And I hope you have a happy weekend as well. =]

      Delete
  4. those look SOO yummy! I just made something similar, but your look even better :o) Pinning! Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And sometimes they roll up ugly, but once they make they smooth out =]

      Delete
  5. Well done and I love your rolls. Pin it in my Group's board. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly how I make my crescent rolls for Thanksgiving give or take a few measurements, they really are delicious!

    ReplyDelete