Friday, December 13, 2013

Home Made Chalk Paint Experiment

Hello everyone!


I've been meaning to try my own chalk paint ever since I tried out Annie Sloan Chalk Paint a few months ago.

Here's a first glance at our newly painted table! 
I had everything I needed to make my own chalk paint on hand. I got a free box of plaster of paris from the airman's attic last year. I got a 3 dollar gallon of satin latex paint from.. I'm not sure where but it was a mistint in a color I absolutely love! And I got these cute little empty paint cans for free also. So, this was a very low cost experiment for me. And I am pleased with the results!



I used the first recipe from this page because plaster of paris is what I had on hand, and I didn't want to try the baking soda one. Maybe another day.


I mixed 2 1/2 TB plaster of paris with 1 1/2 TB of cool water. I whisked it together until it was smooth. Then I added in 1 cup of my latex paint and whisked till smooth. I think next time I may use my electric whisk, my arm sure got a workout!


Just one coat of this paint covered as well as the ASCP that I have used before. It was a bit rougher to the touch than ASCP but lightly sanding it with 220 grit sandpaper easily fixes that. I don't really like to distress furniture, so I'm not sure how it compares to the boutique brands when it comes to distressing, but this gave me an easy to apply thick coverage with no prep work required. I will continue to use this recipe in the future!




Hope you enjoyed reading, until next time

-Christine




7 comments:

  1. We tried making chalkpaint also with unsanded grout. It came out kinda gritty. I don't think the Annie Sloan paint has grit in it. Best wishes, Linda

    Come link up to What to do weekends if you like.

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/12/what-to-do-weekends-50-and-christmas.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, ours was a bit gritty to. Apparently the trick is to make sure its fully dissolved in the water before you add it to the paint. =] and thanks! I will come link up.

      Delete
  2. I wondered about homemade chalk paint before! Thanks for testing it out for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Not only was it inexpensive, you liked the results! Win-win! Thanks for letting us know about your experience...I may have to try this soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I think your results are really good! I just love when things can be homemade. So much more inexpensive and nice to take pride in doing it on your own.
    New follower via "Craft Frenzy Friday".
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete