Sunday, January 12, 2014

Disney Disney Disney Disney Disney Disney (Lather Rinse Repeat)

It has been ages since I've posted anything, despite having completed various projects, like my pedestal table, and my over the desk cabinet, mantle decor, Christmas decor, I haven't been able to concentrate long enough to write about any of it. The reason for my sudden onset attention deficit disorder is DISNEY. I have 39 days until we fly to Orlando, and my husband and I take our very first Disney vacation together!

Since Disney is the only thing I can think about, and I have been obsessively researching for our trip I guess I'll just ramble about Disney until I feel satisfied with this blog entry.



It all started when I was just a wee sprout. My twin great aunts (the ones who have Lil Miss now) used to live in Los Angeles and had annual passes to Disneyland, so every year when we would visit family, they usually took me and my other cousins on a Disney trip, complete with a stay at a Disney hotel. Every year from when I was 3 until I was about 9 we went to Disney in the summer. Then my family moved to Germany and we took a break from Disney to do other kinds of traveling.

When we moved back to the states, we were in North Carolina, and we went to Walt Disney World for the first time. We couldn't stop going back after that! My dad bought us 10 day passes that never expire. When my dad returned from his second deployment, we went on a four night Disney cruise to the Bahamas. You know it was a wonderful vacation when half the family puked their guts out the first two nights, and still wanted to go back on another cruise!

When we moved to Alabama, if there was a three or four day weekend, my dad would convince my mom we had to go to Disney for a couple days! (My dad is really the biggest Disney nut in the family, but he won't admit it). I think he likes to get some "Disney Therapy" every once in a while.

I've left something out though, my best friend since 8th grade, Paige, is going on this trip with us. Well... we're going with her. We sort of bombarded her trip and invited ourselves, but this is a trip almost a decade in the making. Our friendship has been sustained and fueled by similar beliefs and opinions, a shared love of Disney, and at this point, if we stopped being friends one of us would have to die because we know too much about the other. Before Paige's wedding last February, we hadn't seen each other in almost 2 years. Its will be a year since we have seen each other when we arrive in Florida. That's another thing that has kept our friendship alive, the fact that we are both army brats, we're both affiliated with the military now (I'm an airforce wife, and she is in the army, and her husband is navy) so we both know what it takes to maintain a long distance friendship. Even though there are times where we don't really talk for weeks or even months, we pick up right where we left off whenever we do find the time to communicate again, and there's never any resentment, we know sometimes life just takes over... well our life. Anyways, I have had somebody to obsess over our trip with, which has made us both more obsessed I think. Our poor husbands, they have no idea what they are getting in to (neither of our husbands has been to a Disney park).



I don't just love Disney parks and vacations, I love Disney movies, and music, and really everything about Disney (except the new breed of tween Disney channel stars. Ugh). I love how when I sit in a theater watching Frozen or Saving Mr. Banks I'm laughing and crying throughout the film because its inspiring, and heart wrenching, and so happy. I love how when I am in the parks enjoying the sights and amazing attractions, I am reminded that it all started with a mouse. I am reminded that I can make my own dreams come true. Also, I like the escape, when I watch the Beast turn back into a handsome prince, or Ariel get her legs, or even Pinocchio becoming a real boy, the world just seems a little better and brighter.

So anyways, I am really excited for our upcoming trip. We are spending nine days there, five days in the park, two travel days, and two rest days. We're staying in the All Star Movies Resort, and it couldn't come sooner for me!

Do you have any memorable Disney experiences? If so, let me know about it in the comments!

Until next time,

Christine

P.S. Here is a picture of Randy wearing a Disneyland hat from the late eighties or early nineties.


No comments:

Post a Comment