Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Silhouette Decorated Step Stool for Boy's Bathroom


Hello!


I've been trying to update our downstairs bathroom so it looks less like potty training ground zero, and more like a place where I send guests who need to use the facilities. The two year old that I nanny is currently struggling with potty training and the downstairs half bathroom is normally where we turn when he informs us he needs to go.




Currently in the bathroom his potty seat and step stool are pretty much just laying on the floor, ready to be deployed when called upon. Useful, but kind of embarrassing when someone asks me where the toilet is when they visit my home.

So I attached a command hook to the side of the tank of the toilet and hung the potty seat from it. The step stool we've been using is a little fold up plastic ugly thing that just leans against the wall. I found a cute wooden one from the airman's attic and decided to paint it, and give it a cute decorative design.

I found the cutest graphic on The Graphic Fairy's website for the stool. I did not know how I was going to transfer it onto the painted wood though. I went to Michaels and bought some graphite paper. I painted the stool with a sample of Valspar's Tropical Oasis, and then used masking tape to lay down my printed design, with the graphite paper underneath it, on top of my painted surface.


I used a little stylus I also bought from Michael's (for under a dollar) and used it to rub the surface of my design. I did not want to use anything else because I was afraid of ripping the page and ruining my design. It was incredibly easy to transfer.

I used a paint pen from walmart (less than a dollar each) to fill in the design. After I let the design dry for a few hours, I did one really thick coat of polycrylic. You shouldn't over brush it, just pat it on and make sure its full covered. I absolutely adore silhouettes, and I am so happy with how this one turned out! A really easy afternoon project as long as you have all the supplies lying around.

One step closer to having a downstairs bathroom that I am proud to send people into!

If you missed my guest blog post from last week, head on over to Designed by Dawn Nicole and check out our hand built dog crate.


(I will be linking up at The Dedicated House for anything blue friday, check it out!) 

11 comments:

  1. This is such a creative idea, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was an easy way to make my bathroom look a little less messy.

      Delete
  2. Adorable Christine!!! And frugal too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to keep all of my projects inexpensive, I hate seeing tutorials for things, but they require an expensive silhouette machine, or an airbrush or something crazy. =]

      Delete
  3. Adorable! I have a Cameo, so I'll just die cut it. Great idea with the graphite paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll be using graphite paper for a few years until we can afford a silhouette machine. Its just a low budget alternative =]

      Delete
  4. Good idea, I am using it for kids Tshirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You'll have to shoot me an email and show me when you are done. =]

      Delete